Town of Lebanon Parks and Recreation Department
Beginning in 2020, the Town of Lebanon now offers a Parks and Recreation Department to better serve the community with recreation and leisure opportunities. After completely remodeling the Town Pool and Splash Pad area in 2019, the Town opened the brand-new 2.5 million dollar Lebanon Community Recreation in June 2020.
This state-of-the-art multi-use facility is comprised of:
- Full-size regulation basketball and volleyball court with amble spectator seating,
- Full-size workout room with free weights and exercise machines
- 2 adjoining Community Meeting Rooms with full kitchens and private restrooms. These rooms are great for meetings, classes, family reunions, and/or parties.
- Full size kitchen/concession area which can be utilized during tournaments as well as during the pool season.
A wide range of activities are planned for the Community Recreation Center. The exercise rooms are being utilized for group fitness classes throughout the week. The basketball/volleyball court is being used for practices, 3 on 3, 5 on 5, and team Recreation Leagues. The Community Meeting Rooms have the space to host community gatherings, such as parties, reunions, classes, and meeting.
Other Parks and Recreation Highlights:
- In addition to the Community Recreation Center, the Town of Lebanon offers tennis courts, a large playground, nature walking trails, and community picnic shelters at J.S, Easterly Park.
- The Old Mill Park offers picnic opportunities as well as a gazebo with beautiful landscaping in Downtown Lebanon.
- The Lebanon Town Park offers a softball/baseball field, outdoor basketball/volleyball, walking track, and 2 community picnic shelters.
- The Town of Lebanon’s LOVEwork sign (located at 495 E Main Street) offers photo opportunities year-round. Lebanon’s LOVEwork sign is decorated for each season and is especially picturesque with mountain views in all directions. Directly East of the sign, is a view of Beartown Mountain, Virginia’s 7th highest peak. Various ridges can be seen to the Northeast, as well as the Clinch Mountain Range to the South. On a clear day, if you look to the Southeast, you can see the Hayters Knob Lookout Tower, located within the Channels Natural Area Preserve. Technology Park Drive located behind the LOVEwork offers panoramic views of these natural beauties! Take in the sights, visit the revitalized downtown, and discover why Lebanon is “The Heart of Southwest Virginia!”
For more information on Lebanon’s Parks and Recreation, to reserve Community Meeting Rooms/ Shelters, you can contact Parks and Recreation Director Shane Farmer at (276) 883-5084. You can also stay up to date on the latest Parks & Rec happenings by following the Town of Lebanon Parks and Rec Department on Facebook.
Fun and Recreation
- Popular local events include the Russell County Fair and Horseshow (Castlewood, Va.), Honaker Redbud Festival, Clinch River Days Festival (St. Paul, Va.) and our own Lebanon Independence Day Celebration.
- Six community parks are nearby, and the Lake Bonaventure Golf and Country Club in Castlewood offers a 9-hole golf course, swimming and 35-acre lake for boating and fishing. Laurel Bed Lake in nearby Saltville, part of the Clinch Mountain Wildlife Area, also provides excellent trout fishing.
- Our Clinch River is a popular site for boating, ranked #1 river in the country by The Nature Conservancy for environmental diversity and significance.
- Other outdoor opportunities are available at the Clinch Mountain Wildlife Area, Pinnacle Natural Area Reserve, Breaks Interstate Park, Mount Rogers National Recreation Area and Natural Tunnel State Park.
- We’re also just a short drive to Bristol Motor Speedway (Bristol, Tenn.), which hosts two of NASCAR’s most exciting stock care races each year.
Other helpful links:
- Town of Lebanon Parks and Recreation Department Facebook Page
- Official Tourism Website of the Commonwealth of Virginia (Virginia is for Lovers)
- Experience Russell County Tourism Facebook Page
- My Southwest Virginia website
- Spearhead Trails website